Sunday, December 28, 2014

On 7:30 PM by Unknown in    No comments
This may very well be the last Breaking Bias post of 2014. I think this is why I feel a special obligation to take a leaf out of Facebook's book and write a "Year in Review." At first I thought of doing a timeline, but I felt like that would treat certain issues disproportionately. Then, I thought of writing a list of highlights for each form of privilege, but I didn't want one triumph (or failure) for an issue to look more important than any others, so I decided against that as well. At this moment, organizing a review seems nearly impossible. There are so many things that I could write about, so many things that I could argue were pivotal moments to those trying to get a better grasp of privilege I have so many different thoughts swimming through my mind right now. . But above anything else, I'm thinking that 2014 was a pretty big year.
Granted, I am young and growing more and more perceptive by the day. It's likely that 2014 was the same as any other year only I've barely begun to notice the important stuff. Or perhaps, I've only recently developed the skill to identify what the "important stuff" exactly is. Either way, I believe the best way to truly give this year justice is to simply present it for what it is. 

If I were to classify 2014 as any kind of year I'd say it would be a loud one. 

It seems like for the past couple of years, privilege has been  passed down like salad at Thanksgiving dinner: the topic is rarely put on our plate, and when it is, it takes up the smallest portion of it possible and even then it's pretty thoroughly ignored. However, as the years progress, connections are increasing, ideas are spreading and people are...acting. People are actually acting.Not only are they acting but are following through. This isn't just pertaining to Ferguson. This is happening with gender equality, body image, LGBTQ rights. Activists are becoming more active and  most importantly, people are becoming more willing to teach. Taking action is one thing but encouraging further participation by educating others is an invaluable asset to equality that 2014 has been generously provided. 

 The tenacity of the #BlackLivesMatter movement in particular is inspiring others to persevere in their causes, but what's really caused talks on privilege to pick up speed are the discussions constantly circling throughout the web. In 2014, the minorities of America and the ones fighting for them learned how to speak up.It is all very exciting. There is still so much to be done but now people are more willing to try to get it done. Because of this, I can't help but feel a sense of optimism at this year's close.

Maybe that's just me. I'm barely 18 years old and up to this year I've never really thought of what privilege is or how every day aspects of my life demonstrate the advantages that I have over other people.  Within this year it seems as if the world has gotten bigger. I can only hope that one day this blog will have the same effect on others. I hope that these posts will help expand the worlds of others too. I've been learning so much, and I am so grateful to have the opportunity to have you readers learning with me. Thank you.

Until next year!

0 comments:

Post a Comment