Thursday, November 20, 2014

On 11:04 AM by Jacob Chevalier in ,    No comments
Growing up, my father was always worried about what people would think of our family. “Those jeans are ripped, go change.” “Read this book on how to diet properly.” I was always confused as a child, as to who would care if my pants were a bit high, or if my sister’s stomach was a bit big. But as it turns out, people stare. And they aren't sweet about it.


People always look away when they are caught staring. As if they weren't caught in the act. But my father was never afraid of the eyes on our family, but the thoughts and faces people made. And boy did people make faces. The Hispanic family shopping in a primarily white neighborhood; ‘disgusting’ their faces would say.


My mum found comments about her weight hilarious. The words “YOU'RE FAT” were viciously thrown through the air. “And…?” my mother would reply, “I already know.” People were shocked at the response. How can she be okay with that? How could anyone be okay with being overweight?


I am naturally a thin person. I wear small shirts, and skinny jean pants because they fit me like normal ones. But my siblings are not naturally thin. My twin really likes his belly, and my sister complains about her pant sizes constantly changing. Being thin is a privilege I have, and growing up with people who don’t have that privilege helps me realize this.


But not all thin people realize that being thin is a privilege. I am never stared at when I eat 6 burritos from Taco Bell. Its never assumed that I have diabetes. I am not stared at in public for going on a walk. I can expect to find clothes that fits me at stores. I’m not instantly identified as sloppy. I benefit from these privileges. Do I think its fair? Of course not. Should we blame thin people? Of course not.


No person, of any body type, should be ridiculed because of their shape. A person’s daily routine shouldn't make then a public item to make a joke out of. People like my mother shouldn't be labeled unhealthy because of how she looks. And the source of these problems, are the biases we all have as a culture.


Fat shaming is ingrained in our society via biases we all have as people. Like the common belief that being fat is something to be laughed at. Or beliefs that being thin is the average among people, leading to stores carrying products that large portions of the population can't wear.


So how do we prevent our bias from showing through? Well first of all, by identifying that it exists. Photographer Haley Morris-Cafiero started an art project called Wait Watchers, where she, as a fat person, take photos of people’s reactions to her just doing daily tasks. The project aims to place a focus away from her weight and towards the people making faces at her.

As a thin person, I live my life with inherent privileges. I enjoy eating my 6 burritos from Taco Bell without getting ridiculed. But others can't. Not all people are like me. Recognizing that fact is how we, as a culture, start to provide safer spaces for people of all identities.

0 comments:

Post a Comment